Friday, August 10, 2007

Week 8: Google Docs

Hey, this thing works pretty good for editing documents. I use to work in a system where there were a limited number of computers that had Microsoft Word. If I had know that this service was available, I could have referred patrons to this site. I can see why it won the Web 2.0 award. There are a lot of patrons out there that may not be able to afford to purchase the various Microsoft Office programs. These things are not cheap. The fact that many employers now request that you attach a resume in Word only compounds the problems.

I have to admit I was a little skeptical when I first started to explore this program. I was afraid this was some cheap imitation that wouldn't have the same quality as a Word document. The fact that it lets you save your document into any format amazes me. I don't know how many times I've had a patron come in with a document that was done in Works instead of Word and we would have a terrible time trying to open the document. I'm going to have to explore it a little more and checkout all the bells and whistles.

No comments: